3.10.2011

Before's and After's of my bedside table...

The three pictures above are "Before" pictures of the nightstand with the first coat of finish remover.  You paint it on and scrape it off...kind of a gooey, messy procedure, however, I was out on the back patio so it was fine.
Step 2 is "whitewashing the pieces with a watered-down off white paint.  Once it is dry, then you sand the edges of the top and drawers to give it an 'older' look, with a fine grit sandpaper.
Step 3 is another coat of whitewash and once it is dry then you do a little more sanding.  I used some of the brown furniture oil that you get to "hide scratches" and wiped that over the surfaces to give it an "older look".   Once that is dry,  Step 4 you spray paint a couple of coats of clear polyurethane to protect the finish and keep it from yellowing.
Step 5 is the FINISHED PRODUCT.  I'm please with it! :)

2 comments:

Shana said...

Looks fabulous!! I have about five pieces of furniture I want/need to do that to... It's almost good enough weather! I just need to coordinate the weather with when my kids sleep!! :)

Anna said...

mom, you're a pro! this turned out perfect!!! i might do this with a dresser the seller is leaving behind (that was in the garage?)