11.14.2010

5K Race Walk

On Saturday, I did a 5K race walk @ Rotary Park.  No running, just race walking!  It was fun, however, I have SORE muscles today (Sunday).  I feel like I am relatively active, doing yoga 3 times a week, an aerobic class once a week and I workout at the gym another evening in the week, but I guess I use different muscles race walking.  I came in 5th overall (@ 40 minutes exactly).  After the race, they had exercise hoola hoops to try out.  Hooping is like bike riding I decided.  You never forget how to do it.  It was fun.  The exercise hoops are heavier and you actually feel like you're doing something!  Also, they had Havasu OutRigger Canoes to try.  They gave us a mini-lesson on how to row, etc.  we removed our socks and shoes, walked into the lake (burrrrrrrrrrr) to the outriggers and away we went (3 experienced women and 3 of us unexperienced women) out to a certain point in Thompson Bay.  Great Fun!  Sore arm muscles yes, but it was worth it! The thing I loved about the racewalk was that there were no individual prizes, the PRIZE was that we put forth the effort to do it, and that we finished the race!  Thats a nice accomplishment!

4 comments:

Shana said...

Nice job! I love doing that kind of race... always helps me keep motivated to exercise a little more consistently! :)

Melisa said...

Congratulations!! The finish line is such an awesome place to be!

Anna said...

this is awesome mom!!! i'm so glad you set a healthy example for our family=) love that you hula hooped + canoed... too bad there is not pix=(

Shirley said...

Great time on the race-walk! And lots of fun things to try afterward...how neat! :)