5.13.2010

Simple Sweet Scones

This is my "go to" scone recipe I have used for years and
I love it...initially, I think it was Mother's Day when Anna
was in 2nd or 3rd grade and they brought home a "mix-in-a
jar" with the dry ingredients in a cute jar with this recipe
attached. Once I made it, I have made it through the years
many, many times and you can add whatever you want to
to make it unique. Here is the original recipe that I received:
Simple Sweet Scones
1 2/3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter cut-up
1/3 cup milk (plus a little more)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, mix all
ingredients except the butter and milk with the pastry
cutter. Add the butter and cut it in with the pastry cutter.
Then add the milk and use pastry cutter or spoon or your
hands to mix together until a soft ball forms. Pat into a
circle on an ungreased pan (I use my pizza stone and it
works wonderfully). Cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 12-14 mins.
I follow the recipe as above, however, to make it last
at our house (I only think I'm tricky sometimes :-) I
add to the the dough ball, berries or craisins w/a bit of
orange flavoring, the one pictured above has dates in
it. I ALWAYS sprinkle cinnamon & sugar mixture
on top. The additions are what get to the kids...
they think thats what makes them "yucky"...
ie: not the cinnamon & sugar though.
I just know when I add stuff like that they
last longer in our house because they don't
touch them! ha
OK kids, I gave my "secret" away!

1 comment:

Anna said...

haha, well i would still eat them!! in fact i had a cran/orange scone this morning! im not so sure about dates tho... if you want me to stay away just add dates & raisins... ew. is it bad that i can't remember bringing this home for m-day?=/ in my defense that was a looooooong time ago=) hee hee. if i wasn't so lazy, i might try to make this, but til then.....